List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Font issues in F21
From:       Hans de Goede <hdegoede () redhat ! com>
Date:       2014-10-31 9:25:48

Hi,

On 10/31/2014 10:20 AM, nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net wrote:
> De: "Hans de Goede" <hdegoede@redhat.com>
> Hi,
>
> On 10/30/2014 11:01 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>
> > > Can some font experts weigh in on how to properly solve the first issue
> > > without triggering the second?
>
> > The first issue can be fixed by patching luit to search under \
> > /usr/share/X11/fonts rather then /usr/share/fonts/X11, my thinking behind adding \
> > the symlink was that their will likely be other apps with the same problem as \
> > luit.
>
> The root of the problem of course is that luit and other similar apps have still \
> not be updated to use fontconfig properly, 12 years after it was introduced. And \
> every time someone adds a hack to avoid fixing those apps it breaks something else. \
>  I personnaly think that short of making them fail fast and hard nothing will \
> convince their upstreams to look at fontconfig and till then they will continue to \
> produce side effects on the rest of the system. You get all the problems that \
> caused fontconfig to be written in the first place, without any hope of improvement \
> (since the solution is to use fontconfig, it was written to handle font discovery \
> sanely).

Erm, luit is not looking for font files at all, it is an encoding translator, as
such it wants the encoding files found under /usr/share/X11/fonts/encodings. Which
it expects to be under /usr/share/fonts/X11/encodings. Fixing this in luit is \
trivial, but I was afraid other apps would have similar hardcoded paths, so the \
symlink seemed like a good idea.

Sorry for the problems I've caused by adding the X11 symlink I'll push an
updated package reverting it asap.

Regards,

Hans