List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Increasing application icon sizes to 64px
From:       Daniel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Vr=E1til?= <dvratil () redhat ! com>
Date:       2014-09-30 9:29:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 29 of September 2014 12:40:30 Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 29 September 2014 12:23, Matěj Cepl <mcepl@cepl.eu> wrote:
> > Couldn't we just stop this madness of bitmaps?

+10

> SVGs are not a silver bullet.

Well, it's better than bitmaps.

> You'd want a very different source SVG
> file for an icon that's designed to be displayed at 22x22, to an icon
> designed to be displayed at 256x256.

The point is that even if you have a "small" SVG, you can still scale it up to
256x256 without the icon being pixelated - yes, it will have fewer details, it
will be obvious that it's not really aimed for the large resolution, but I
think that's zillion times better than showing pixelated icons.

KDE apps sometimes provide different versions of SVG icons for different level
of detail, but the cool thing here is that you only need to provide for
example a small version - for 16x16 - 64x64 sizes, and a large version for
128x128 and above - no need to maintain 6 bitmaps or so. Also with SVGZ
(gzipped SVG) this can save some space.

> Plus, rendering SVGs with
> inkscape and rsvg sometimes output *very* different results...

Well, that's either bug in Inkscape or rsvg. Try Karbon (from the Calligra
suite) :-)

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil@redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Associate Software Engineer

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348                                                           \

Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348