List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Improving the offline updates user experience
From:       Lukáš Tinkl <ltinkl () redhat ! com>
Date:       2014-09-16 20:02:36

Dne 16.9.2014 v 17:29 Matthias Clasen napsal(a):
> On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 16:21 +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>

>> Has Fedora given up Unix ??
>
> This thread has gone quite far out into the weeds. It started with a
> fairly concrete question: can we improve the offline update experience
> by requiring only a single reboot, instead of two ?

That's the core of the problem, while other systems have been trying for
years to get rid of this nonsense (updates requiring reboots), we are
moving the opposite direction. Technical reasons aside(*), this is NOT
right for our users.

(*) I agree offline updates are the safest way technically but that
should be only regarded as a workaround for a more fundamental problem,
lying deep below the desktop level.
--
Lukáš Tinkl <ltinkl@redhat.com>
Senior Software Engineer - KDE desktop team, Brno