List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F21 System Wide Change: u-boot syslinux by default
From:       Jochen Schmitt <Jochen () herr-schmitt ! de>
Date:       2014-03-08 8:21:30

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 03:58:44PM +0100, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

> Add syslinux support to u-boot enabling both pxelinux and extlinux support.
> simplifying booting arm machines, making anaconda installs easy and overall
> providing for a better user experience. Default u-boot to using syslinux config
> files for booting. pxelinux for network and extlinux for local booting.

At first I'm not familar with u-boot, but I wold to like any hard requirements
for this feature:

1.) An bootloader for Fedora should support

   * BIOS boot
   * EFI boot  (used on Apple Mac computers)
   * UEFI boot (with and without secure boot)

2.) Dual-boot support. It should be possible to host serveral OSs on the same
system. Aspecially the support of booting Windows may be very importent for
the workstation product.

Additionally, whch filesystem are supported on u-boot? Can the /boot partition
into a LVM. Grub2 support booting Linux from a /boot partition which is part
of a LVM volumen group.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt