List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Network configuration future
From:       Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh () redhat ! com>
Date:       2012-08-29 17:48:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 13:58 +0200, Olaf Kirch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to revive a proposal that I have made a while ago, regarding
> a framework for managing network interfaces. I called it wicked at that time,
> and it's still called that way, but because of potential confusion with WICD
> I'll probably change the name soonishly.
>
> This project has been going on for a while now, and is getting into a more
> presentable shape.
>
> Given the breadth and the width of the whole topic, I won't be able to
> cover all aspects of the system in one email - instead, I want to give you
> my perspective on why I think we need something new, and what it should
> look like from my point of view.
>
> While I my original motivation in working on this is from a SUSE perspective,
> I believe other Linux distributions can benefit from this as well, and I'd
> be happy to work on this cross-distribution.
>
> Your feedback is very much welcome!

Olaf, I'm very interested to learn more about wicked. Can you perhaps
itemize the set of features available to wicked (current as well as
in-development) that aren't available (or maybe "accessible) in Network
Manager?

I'm involved in a project that's aiming to improve central management of
networking and having a comprehensive network stack wrapped in a D-BUS
API sounds almost too good to be true from that perspective. A CIM
wrapper around such an API could go a long way in that direction.

Do you have a D-BUS API specification available somewhere in a readable
form? That would be very helpful.