List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: The updates firehose
From:       Warren Togami <wtogami () redhat ! com>
Date:       2007-06-10 21:17:01

Jesse Keating wrote:
> Anybody else think we're issuing entirely /way/ too many updates?  We've had
> 138 "stable" updates, and 177 current "testing" updates.  If all those were
> to go stable, we're talking over 300 updates, in just over a week.
>
> Seriously.  We're drowning our users in updates.  Are all of them really
> necessary?  I feel like we've got this culture of update whatever/whenever
> coming from Extras where it was just fire and forget.  While that might be
> fun for the maintainer, is it fun for the user?  Is it fun for the user with
> a slow connection?

Keep in mind that updates now encompass Core/Extras and *new* added
packages.  A better question would be to ask, of the packages users
actually have INSTALLED are updates really churning faster now than
before?  I would expect no if you look at Core + Extras of previous
releases.

Presto would be the next important step to formalize to make the
updating process more tolerable to users.

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com