List:       fedora-desktop-list
Subject:    Re: Workstation and Basic Video Driver - Provide way to switch to the normal driver?
From:       Chris Murphy <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2019-09-10 17:03:04

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 9:37 AM Frantisek Zatloukal <fzatlouk@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> recently, I've seen few users running Fedora with nomodeset. They didn't know about \
> that and were just complaining about poor resolution and/or performance (and those \
> systems worked just fine without nomodeset). Also, sometimes, users choose basic \
> video driver because something is broken, but the broken state can change over \
> time.
> That led me to an idea - wouldn't it be better to provide some info for users \
> running Basic Video Driver that they're probably not getting the best Fedora \
> experience?
> What came to my mind?
>
> Having two GRUB entries for Fedora - with and without nomodeset. Users who would \
> install system while booted with nomodeset would see grub every time with nomodeset \
> option being default for the first time and then defaulting to the last used entry. \
>  Apart from this, there could be either notification (or window) shown every time \
> GNOME is launched with basic video driver, probably with some basic information and \
> link to Fedora Docs explaining what that does mean.
> WDYT?

Or if the DE would inform the user that sub-optimal video settings are
being used. I think the description above is a bit complicated: a) the
usual case is GRUB menu is hidden by default; b) the GRUB menu is
already considered "busy" and there's a feature proposal to clean it
up [1]; c)  there would need to be creation of two bootloader .conf
files every time a kernel is installed, e.g.

*.conf file A would contain line

options $kernelopts

*.conf file B would contain line

options $kernelopts nomodeset

d) we'd have to change anaconda to no longer insert nomodeset into
GRUB boot parameters if the user selected it when booting to install;
otherwise they'll have two boot entries with nomodeset, and instead
Anaconda would presumably need to be taught how to set the one with
nomodeset as the default; last and not least, e) I think the graphics
folks have said nomodeset is really suboptimal, is a last resort, and
suggests there are other problems going on that need to be fixed.

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ImprovedGrubMenu

Perhaps if the basic video choices go in the submenu?

--
Chris Murphy