List:       fedora-desktop-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora Media Writer change is netting us great press
From:       Martin Bříza <mbriza () redhat ! com>
Date:       2017-01-02 8:12:34

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 22:25:35 +0100, Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com>
wrote:

> The other thing is ISO 9660 since it's an optical format specifies
> 2048 byte sectors and I guess this causes confusion elsewhere (I'm
> handwaving on this one because I can't remember exactly, maybe mbriza
> will chime in) since USB sticks are 512 byte sectors; and they end up
> appearing much larger than they really are or something?

You're right, this is problematic especially in Linux tools like GParted -
it will try to format the drive to 4x larger than it actually is. While
this may not be the source of the problems GParted has with USB sticks
containing dd'd Fedora ISOs, the tool is just not able to format them
correctly.

The safest bet when restoring the drives manually is to use your
platform's variant of writing the partition table with zeros and reinsert
the drive. FMW does handle this without the need to reinsert the drive
though (also you're right this should be advertised a bit better when
you're writing the iso - I actually had the message in there but I, uh,
sort of got rid of it and it never occured to me it's missing).