List:       fedora-desktop-list
Subject:    eclipse in gnome-software
From:       Matthias Clasen <mclasen () redhat ! com>
Date:       2016-01-27 19:41:34

I had occasion to look up how eclipse is presented in gnome-software
today. Arguably one of the flagship applications for a developer
workstation, sadly, the presentation can be improved.

Things I noticed:

- It shows up as '3rd party' in the list. We really need to fix this so
that the only stuff that gets a 3rd party label is actually 3rd party.
In its current form, it is too unreliable to be used.

- The details page lists a number of interesting plugins in the
description, and there is a list of add-ons that gnome-software offers
to install. Sadly, the overlap between these two lists is very small.
Why is that ? Just one example, CDT: Installing eclipse-cdt on the the
commandline works just fine, but it does not show up in the list of
available add-ons. Why is that, and can we fix it ?