List:       fedora-desktop-list
Subject:    Re: Dropping i686 media for F24
From:       "Paul W. Frields" <stickster () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-01-25 16:59:45

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 04:41:31PM +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Matthew Miller píše v Čt 21. 01. 2016 v 07:40 -0500:
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 01:28:38PM +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > > There is already a change page for it: https://fedoraproject.org/wi
> > > ki/C
> > > hanges/LiveUsbCreatorFacelift
> > > So I suppose I'll just update it.
> >
> > Yeah, the change kind of undersells the idea of changing the primary
> > deliverable. It just says "Design: Make the live-usb-creator a
> > prominent download option on
> > getfedora.org". Christian is suggesting a much bigger role than that,
> > which has big implications for Scope.
> >
> > I think it's a great idea (assuming the improved software addresses
> > Adam's concerns), but let's not underestimate the impact. Both
> > Design and Websites need to be involved in the actual change, and
> > there's probably _something_ for Release Engineering, and it's a
> > whole
> > new thing for QA to worry about. And it will affect my metrics
> > tracking, as well.
>
> OK,
> I've created a new change proposal that reflects the scope of the
> change more: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LUCasPrimaryDownloa
> dable
>
> Help me improve it. The deadline for F24 changes is Tue Jan 26th, so we
> still have a couple of days to work on it.

One big thing I see missing here is the expected QA work.  To make LUC
our primary downloadable we should logically have associated release
criteria.  What are the expected cases that must work, i.e. blockers
for release?  I could see that as a host OS matrix for each expected
action; IOW there might be differences based on the OS where the user
runs LUC (or maybe not).

IIRC we aren't blocking on LUC currently -- so whether this means
reviving old criteria or creating new ones, that needs to be clear.
OTOH, the functions of LUC are pretty well constrained.  So maybe this
isn't too large a change.