List:       fedora-desktop-list
Subject:    Re: hw requirements
From:       Elad Alfassa <elad () fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2014-02-28 20:50:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>wrote:

> Do we require at least one PS/2 or USB input device, or will we work with
> bluetooth-only or touchscreen-only devices?

For the initial release, advertising we support touch is probably a bad
idea.

Touch support in gnome (and most apps) is still not good enough.
In theory it is possible to work only with touchscreen, but right now it's
just too frustrating.

I suggest we don't mention input methods in the tech spec at all.

For further reference, here is a list of bugs related to touch support in
gnome:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?status_whiteboard_type=anywordssubstr;status_whiteboard=touch

In my opinion we can only advertise touch support as a feature once we have
gestures in the shell, default web browser that supports touch, and few OSK
improvements. There are upstream bugs (in Mozilla and gnome) for all of
these.
--
-Elad Alfassa.