List:       fedora-desktop-list
Subject:    Re: metacity compositor in rawhide
From:       Havoc Pennington <hp () redhat ! com>
Date:       2007-12-19 19:57:17

Hi,

Ray Strode wrote:
> I'd kind of envision Desktop Effects on -> compiz, Desktop Effects off
> -> metacity with automatic compositing (or a minimum, non-customizable
> set of compositing operations that the user wouldn't consider
> "effects")
>
> I don't think it ever makes sense to have two compositing managers
> available in the UI each with overlapping / different toggleable
> effects.
>
> Or were you suggesting make Desktop Effects on -> metacity with iain's
> cm, and Desktop Effects off -> metacity with no cm (and compiz just
> taken out of the picture) ?

I was thinking something like "Desktop Effects is kind of a bogus thing
that's just there short-term / for testing, so it may as well have a
3-way choice compiz/metacity-cm/metacity-no-cm, or at least that's
better than putting metacity CM in the Windows control panel"

In the long term surely the only sane plan is to nuke the Desktop
Effects control panel, and to pick only one WM and fix that one WM up to
address its shortcomings vs. the other one.

Everything else is some kind of bad-hack stopgap...

Havoc