Hi, Ray Strode wrote: >> For turning on compositing, perhaps that should be in the "desktop >> effects" dialog that Fedora has now? > Why would we ever want the user to be in an environment where > compositing isn't available? I mean, why do we want an off button? > If COMPOSITE is found, I think metacity should leverage it (at least > do automatic compositing at a minimum). > > Even for remote X it probably makes sense to have > compositing on I think (less redraws). > My assumption here is that we don't have a way to automatically know if compositing works and is fast enough. I definitely agree that when we do have that info, which we should, it would be unacceptable to have a config option. Basically I think the config option means "test out beta window manager and X server" - at the point that we think the stuff really works and is not just a beta, the config option is silly. There might still be options for whether to have drop shadows, transparency, etc., I don't know, but we wouldn't have an option for whether to use the COMPOSITE extension. Havoc -- Fedora-desktop-list mailing list Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list