List:       fedora-arm
Subject:    =?utf-8?q?=5Bfedora-arm=5D?= Re: HD messages?
From:       Robert Moskowitz <rgm () htt-consult ! com>
Date:       2018-09-12 22:13:53

On 9/12/18 5:59 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:26 PM Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
>> This is on a Cubieboard2
>>
>> with Fedora-Xfce-armhfp-29-20180911.n.0-sda image on the HD and only
>> uboot on the uSD.
>>
>> System booted up as expected.  GUI setup occured and Xfce started. Then
>> on console I started seeing HD related messages.  Are these drive
>> errors, and I need to get a new drive for testing or some other sort of
>> messages?
> To be honest no idea, hard disk errors aren't ARM specific, nor likely
> Fedora  specific so you could probably shove any one of those strings
> into google and get an answer!
>
> The storage error reporting standard (part o ATA/SCSI standards) is
> called SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) and
> there's linux tools called smartmontools, available in Fedora, maybe
> try installing those and seeing what they have to say.

with all the interesting things done for arm i thought I would start
here.  I knew it was a stretch.

Running Xfce directly on the Cubie is slow.  The idea is to go to
multi-user mode and install tiger-vncserver, so most of the graphics
work is on my notebook.  That is for tomorrow.  I had it working for my
userid, so it is 'just a matter' of repeat.  Lots of errors setting up
vnc for root with Xfce; I have done this with Gnome...

Well time to google some.