List:       familiar-dev
Subject:    [Familiar-dev] h3600 RC1 image size
From:       Harald Thingelstad <harald () fair ! no>
Date:       2006-01-04 13:19:18

> The h3600 images look frighteningly large, though:
>

> -rw-r--r-- 1 koen users 15204352 Jan 2 14:01
> gpe-image-h3600-20060102123617.rootfs.jffs2
> -rw-r--r-- 1 koen users 15466496 Dec 24 15:14
> opie-image-h3600-20051224182750.rootfs.jffs2
>
> The corresponding files for 0.8.2 were 14417920 bytes in size
> (interestingly, the Opie and GPE images seem to be precisely the same
> length there). So, somewhere between these two versions we appear to
> have picked up almost a megabyte of new stuff. Given that the
absolute
> maximum rootfs size on h3800 is 16252928 bytes, and jffs2 is famously
> flaky in situations of low free space, this seems a bit close for
> comfort.

Indeed.

Installed the RC1 gpe-image on a h3630, and with the remaining free
space it wasn't possible to write files. /etc/fstab, owner information
and so on, they don't have to be big.

Had to remove packages before I could even change anything, and even the
first couple of packages I removed kept giving leaving messages until
there was enough space free.

That is bug-worthy.

It's rather far-fetched to expect everything out of such a device these
days, so protocols like wifi and bluetooth could be removed from the
base image.
People wanting to invest that kind of hardware (into a h3600-series)
these days would go for a newer device with more ram instead. Device
gets pretty bulky with a lot of extras added, and if you're really that
into it you can install some extra packages too.

It's easier to see it as an inexpensive PIM, plus ogg player, digital
photo browser etc. with some extra flash disk.

Harald Thingelstad