List:       familiar-dev
Subject:    [Familiar-dev] wireless Ad hoc mode problem
From:       Johny Franslay <gte722m () prism ! gatech ! edu>
Date:       2003-11-09 7:13:42

Hi,
I'm having a problem with using wireless ad hoc mode with Familiar 0.7.

I wrote a code that does simple data transmissions using raw ethernet
over wireless 802.11 between two iPAQs.
I manually construct the ethernet header and set the dest/source MAC
address before I send the frame using sendto(2).
The transmission is successful, however under ad hoc mode the wireless
card failed after about five minutes of usage. After it fails it can't
send any packets, moreover ifconfig doesn't even show the device
existed. Restarting the device (by re-inserting the card) would enable
it but after the next few minutes the problem occur again.
Does anyone aware of this problem and know how to fix it?
This problem does not occur over managed/infrastructure mode.

I'm using iPAQ3850 with Familiar 0.7. The wlan card used is Compaq WL110
using the default driver that came with the OS. I tried Orinoco Gold but
it still produced the same problem.

Thanks.

-- Johny