List:       familiar-dev
Subject:    [Familiar-dev] RE: [Familiar] Help, or shed some light... thanks!
From:       "Christian, Andrew" <Andrew.Christian () hp ! com>
Date:       2002-06-11 19:19:55

Take a look at the FAQ:

http://www.handhelds.org/handhelds-faq/bootldr.html

	- Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Ling Su [mailto:lingsu@hotmail.com]=20
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 2:47 PM
To: bootldr@handhelds.org
Cc: familiar@handhelds.org; familiar-dev@handhelds.org; Panariti, David;
jamey@handhelds.org
Subject: [Familiar] Help, or shed some light... thanks!

Dear Everyone, especially to Dave or Jame :)

I recently post following message on the list, without a single reply so
far... :( Could anyone take a look and provide some suggestions? Thanks
lot! I need some clue badly.

I have been off the list for some time, so I found there are plenty of
enhancements/changes for bootldr-2.18.xx compared to2.14.xx.

Now I want to try some other OS that doesn't support JFFS2.  I don't
want to
screw up the bootldr, so it is unlikely for me to change bootldr to
support
other OS's filesystem, I prone to use cramfs at the beginning. For
example,
to isntall plan9 on ipaq I basically need to follow a instruction pretty
much the same as handhelds linux release
v.20(http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/bitsy/). (All the instrutions there
are
based on bootldr-2.14.xx, and image files are cramfs instead of jffs2.
Since
I have installed the bleeding-edge one 2.18.48, I
hope I don't need to roll back. :)

I tried to load the old version linux from handhelds.org, such as
version
0.20, when I issue 'load kernel' to the new boot loader, the response is
'no
partition named kernel'. I figured out now the default partitions are
'bootldr' and 'root', and the default boot type is 'jffs2'. My question
is
simple, can I install those old cramfs linux image (before v0.2, Iguess)
using the new bootldr? If yes, what I need to do to define a kernel
partion,
such as address, size, etc.? Is it possible to make a single root image
in
cramfs format and load it as it does on jffs2 image? Or worded in
another
way, if I want to change to boot_type back to 'flash' from jffs2, how
could
I build the image files and load them under the new bootldr?

I am a bit confused now, since I didn't pay attention to previous
partitions
when I install v0.1. If anyone can take a little time to explain it or
point
me some url, it will be highly appreciated!

Regards,
-Ling