List:       familiar
Subject:    [Familiar] 0.8.0 vorbis-tools ogg-liness
From:       Ran Talbott <ran () netgate ! net>
Date:       2005-01-30 15:34:17

The ogg123 included in ipkvorbis-tools_1.0.1-r0_arm.ipk just plain
doesn't work on my 3765:  all I get is a few blips of sound per second,
of a few tens of milliseconds each.  I think this is because it's using
the floating-point version of libvorbis.

It also takes about 2.2M of flash,  because the inclusion of FLAC support
in the latest version brings along libstdc++.  This makes it problematic
for 3100 and 3600 users.

If you only need vorbis playback,  see this post to the mailing list:

   http://handhelds.org/pipermail/familiar/2002-May/008306.html

Ths appears to work properly on 0.8.0.  But it doesn't support esd,  and
its combining of libraries that are normally packaged separately may
cause some annoyance for people who want to install other sound
packages.

If it'll be of use to enough people,  I'll repackage those libraries to
avoid the conflicts as an interim measure.

I think that the Tremor library should be repackaged so that it can be
used as an alternative to the floating-point decoder without the
dependency problems that arise now.  If it doesn't support the same API,
it should be reworked so it does:  the whole idea behind having modular
libraries is that you can replace modules to suit circumstances,  after
all  ;-)

Ran