List:       familiar
Subject:    [Familiar] any takers to write CF GSM/GPRS card driver for linux?
From:       Robert Watkins <robert_maria () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-11-14 19:59:34

Through a long and painful process, I ended up
with an Audiovox RTM-8000. It's a CF card that
works as a GSM phone with GPRS wireless internet
capabilities.

There's a known glitch in the firmware that keeps
it from reading the SIM card (this seems to
affect only US-phone company SIM cards such as
Voicestream and AT&T). Audiovox is working on
fixing this. Essentially this means no SMS, no
phone number storage and no notification of
voicemail. Making phone calls works as well as
the wireless internet connection.

I tried, unsuccessfully, to get my money back,
but since I bought it from a vendor that has
since gone out of business, I'm out of luck.

So while I wait for the firmware to get fixed,
I'd be happy to have someone work with it to
create a driver for it should anyone be
interested.

Thanks,
Robert