List:       familiar
Subject:    Re: [Familiar] hostap_cs HELP!!
From:       Erik Stambaugh <erik-filter () dasbistro ! com>
Date:       2002-07-31 17:37:36

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:06:39PM +0200, marco.decesare@sun.com wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> i tried to configure wlan-ng.conf to load new prism2 driver called
> hostap_cs
> instead of (working) wvlan_cs
> but unfortunatly my kernel 2.4.18 goes in panic.
> Anybody can help me pls?
>
> PS: i tried to load it manually as modprobe hostap_cs and it doens panic
> but im unable to see wlan0 device.

Not that I necessarily have a fix for you, but I had the same problem.
Still have it, to an extent.

I had a single-slot PCMCIA sleeve.  Dropped in my D-Link DWL-650 and
it incorrectly identified it as a Compaq WL110 adapter and tried to
load the wvlan_cs driver, which didn't work.

I unloaded wvlan_cs and tried to hand-load hostap_cs.  I'm not the
brightest PCMCIA/802.11 kid on my block, which I assumed at that time
to be the reason I couldn't make it work that way.

So I edited /etc/pcmcia/config to load the correct driver, and did a
/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart.  As soon as I dropped the card into my
sleeve, there was a kernel panic, just like the one you are
describing.

Later that day, I was going to show the kernel panic to a friend, but
I had my dual PCMCIA sleeve on it instead.  Dropped the card in and it
started working.  It isn't 100%-- I get frequent card resets (about
once per second or two), but it sort of passes traffic while it's up.

I've been using the prism2_cs driver up until Familiar 0.5.3, when the
problems started, and the 0.6-pre1 image does the same thing.

Again, I'm not sure this is much help to you, but I felt like saying
something just so no one thought this was an isolated issue.