List:       familiar
Subject:    [Familiar] Bloat?
From:       Jukka Santala <jsantala () tml ! hut ! fi>
Date:       2002-01-31 11:25:27

I suppose I should try from a fresh botstrap image to see if there's some
kind of a problem with retaining old information or the jffs2 just getting
very fragmented, but I would like to issue a bloat warning. I seem to
notice that every package update on the iPAQ always leaves me with less
and less free flash afterwards. Presently, 0.5.1 is approaching point
where it won't even be possible to fit a working system on the standard
flash.

Granted, flash memories are likely to get bigger, and people will demand
more and more functionality, but this will usually happen by installing
new packages, and as of yet iPAQ is definitely on the upper-end of devices
by storage-capability provided. Hence the invidual *handheld*-pacakge
upgrades should be preferably becoming smaller and smaller as time goes
by, not more and more big. Let's not turn this into another debate for
busybox, though, and no I don't even know who to blame, but it may be that
an usable installation of 0.5.1 won't fit on most people iPAQ's.

Or alternatively, there's a bug on upgrade logic somewhere, which leaves
less and less flash free ;)

 -Jukka Santala