List:       fail2ban-users
Subject:    Re: [Fail2ban-users] Force ban on old logs, and testing
From:       Kenneth Porter <shiva () sewingwitch ! com>
Date:       2023-04-09 15:34:03

On 4/9/2023 6:47 AM, Wayne Sallee via Fail2ban-users wrote:
> Here is a tip that might help some people for forcing fail2ban to ban
> past logs, and also use for testing.

I'd also recommend installing etckeeper, not just for fail2ban but for
tracking any edits to files in /etc. I've got it installed on my CentOS
servers and my Raspberry Pi. It's in their package repos so you can use
yum/dnf/apt to install it.

You'll need to learn a few git commands to commit your edits once you're
satisfied with them. "git add" and "git commit" are 99% of what you'll use.

I recommend disabling etckeeper's daily autocommit and the pre-commit
for package updates, so you won't forget to manually commit your own
edits with an appropriate change comment.