List:       fail2ban-users
Subject:    Re: [Fail2ban-users] whitelist just myself
Date:       2016-07-26 13:50:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 02:56:01AM -0700, thufir wrote:
>Brand new gcloud Linux instance.  New to fail2ban, I want to block
>anyone except myself, across the board.  If I whitelist with:
>

>Whitelisting is setup in the jail.conf file using a space separated list.
>
>[DEFAULT]
># "ignoreip" can be an IP address, a CIDR mask or a DNS host. Fail2ban
>will not
># ban a host which matches an address in this list. Several addresses
>can be
># defined using space separator.
>
>ignoreip = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24 8.8.8.8
>

>http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Whitelist
>

>and input my public IP, how can I then blacklist everyone else?
>Temporarily until I further understand fail2ban.

AFAIK, Fail2ban considers any IP which is NOT in the whitelist to be
fair game for blocking. It doesn't support a blacklist, per se (that is,
there is no way to say "These IPs must always be blocked"), because
that's what your firewall is for. Fail2ban works WITH your firewall,
adding TEMPORARY blocks for clients which repeatedly fail. If you want
to permanently block an IP, do so through your usual firewall
configuration.

>thanks,
>Thufir

For more information, please reread.