List:       ezmlm
Subject:    Finding user address in AOL spam complaints?
From:       Matt Simpson <net-ezmlm () jmatt ! net>
Date:       2008-10-09 21:39:08

A few weeks ago, someone here wrote about AOL's new spam-complaint
report not providing a clue about which subscriber generated the
report.  At the time, I hadn't gotten a recent complaint, so I didn't
know if something had changed since the last one I had gotten.

Today I got an AOL "feedback report".  It looks just like the ones
I've always gotten.  Maybe I'm just lucky and still getting the
old-style report.  Despite AOL's piss-poor attempt at hiding the
user's identity, it's still obvious.

The report begins like this:

>This is an email abuse report for an email message with the
>message-id of d3d.2b601fe3.36196385@aol.com received from IP address
>208.116.11.36 on Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:26:11 -0400
>
>For information, please review the top portion of the following page:
>http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/fbl.html

>Feedback-Type: abuse
>Version: 0.1
>Received-Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:26:11 -0400
>Source-IP: 208.116.11.36
>Reported-Domain: crossbo.jmatt.net
>Redacted-Address: redacted
>Redacted-Address: redacted@

Then it includes the original list message that the user reported as
spam, with the word "redacted" in several places instead of the
user's screen name.  But they missed a couple.  In the examples I'm
posting,  the I have replaced the user's id with asterisks, but as
received from AOL, the userid was still there:

To: redacted@FoxHunters.Org

Ironically, what they actually "redacted" in those lines was the list
name, not the subscriber's id.  It looks like they looked at what was
in the To: header, decided that must be the recipient, and "redacted"
it everywhere it occurred, instead of the actual recipient.

The List-Unsubscribe header is one I add via the qmail-verh patch to
qmail-remote.  But the Return-Path header should exist in any message.

Unless other people are getting reports from AOL that are different
from mine, the subscriber's id is still there.