List:       extremeprogramming
Subject:    Re[2]: [XP] KISS
From:       Doug Swartz <daswartz () prodigy ! net>
Date:       2005-06-30 1:09:51

Wednesday, June 29, 2005, 7:33:36 PM, SirGilligan wrote:

> --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Doug Swartz
> <daswartz@p...> wrote:
>>
>> Wednesday, June 29, 2005, 5:39:56 PM, Ron Jeffries wrote:
>>
>> > What if the students themselves were to rank order the solutions
> in
>> > terms of simplicity, //as a group//? They don't get any pizza
> until
>> > they agree. Meanwhile, you guide the discussion so that they
> address
>> > and assess things as concretely as possible.
>>
>> I like this a lot. Rank order forces the students to
>> exercise judgement (you are required to compare rather than
>> giving everybody else, in the class a great score because you
>> want them to like you). Requiring consensus will force the
>> very discussion of "what is simple" that can lead to learning.
>>

> This is reminiscent of a "performance review" in industry.
> I have some strong opinions about preformance reviews and maybe they
> are applicable to this situation.

I also thought of a stack ranking performance review when I
read Ron's suggestion. I don't personally believe in stack
ranking of people for performance review purposes. However, I
think stack ranking of software solutions in this case is a
good idea. In some ways having a consensus ranking of the
software solutions is like your Maverick performance review.

--

 Doug Swartz
 daswartz@prodigy.net

ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com