List:       extremeprogramming
Subject:    Re: [XP] Conversations between Equals (was Re: new article: Hearts as Weapons)
From:       "Victor" <vmgoldberg () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2004-09-30 18:16:02

Hi George,

I am mostly with you here, until you get to the CD example with this person
that just happens not to be your wife.

> For instance, say one of these people interprets the words:
>    "Hey, let me fix the CD player, Honey."
> as:
>    "You're incompetent and will break it further."
> instead of the correct interpretation, which is:
>    "Fixing the CD player is a chore for you, and fun for me,
>     so why don't you let me play wi-- fix it?"

For the purpose of the discussion, let's assume the replacement cost of the
CD is not too high.

Many people feel the need to play the role of rescuers, like the boy scouts
that forcefully "help" an elderly woman cross the street, when really she
has no intention to cross it.  Sometimes people need the space to do their
own experiments, and maybe fail.  They don't want our help, and possibly the
best favor we can make them is to be out of the way.  They already know we
are available to help, and they only need to ask.  The time to offer help is
when nothing is happening.

One of the first things we learn in software development in general and in
XP in particular is to accept the fact that we make mistakes and that the
important thing is to find a path to overcome these mistakes, which is also
a learning experience.  We should also accept the fact that other people
make mistakes too, and they need the necessary space to grow.  Otherwise, a
possible path to dependency and control may develop, which is not healthy.

Of course, the validity of this argument is limited to those cases where the
learning environment is safe.  So, as much as we can, it's up to us to
navigate in safe waters.  As usual, communication is of the essence, and
it's best used before we get into these kinds of situations.

When the cost of experimenting is a little higher, like in a shop (or even
in a family), a judgment as to whether this person is valuable in their role
has to be made.  If it is accepted that this person is valuable, then
learning time should be calculated as the necessary cost of doing business
(or having a good family life).

Is the cost is unacceptably high, then a judgment should be made whether to
offer the role to this person at all, in first place.

Victor