List:       extremeprogramming
Subject:    Re: [XP] More Challenges - Big Visible Charts
From:       "Jeff Grigg" <jeffgrigg () charter ! net>
Date:       2004-09-30 14:39:26

--- "Dave Rooney" <dave.rooney@m...> wrote:
> So what are you trying to say, Ron? ;)
>
> Our stories and task list are kept in spreadsheets that
> are kept in our SourceSafe repository.

(...to keep people from changing it, I assume.  ;-)

> A common complaint is that people aren't updating their
> tasks, and that people aren't reading the stories.  [...]
>
> The bottom line is that there are no BigVisibleCharts of
> any sort.  [...]  I have thought of [...]

Take the task estimates, and the tasks that were completed *ON TIME*
for each iteration.  "Forget" that they were estimated in days, and
just call the numbers "points."  Now draw a graph of "points" the
team promised to do in each iteration, and actual "points" finished
*ON TIME* at the end of each iteration.

After a time, one can ask, "Why don't we promise to deliver something
like what we've *ACTUALLY BEEN ABLE TO DELIVER* in one or two
previous iterations?!?

ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
Yahoo! Groups Links