List:       extremeprogramming
Subject:    Re: [XP] Customer doesn't trust our estimates
From:       Dale Emery <dale () dhemery ! com>
Date:       2003-03-31 20:36:49

Hi Jose,

 > Now, after we've managed to have some separation of
 > responsibilities between programmers and Customer, our main
 > problem is that the customer does not trust our estimates.

Given the whole of your message, I'd say that not trusting
estimates is a symptom of a larger relationship issue.  My guess
is that your customer doesn't think you are attending to her
interests.  If that's true, then nothing you can do with your
estimates will help.

You've said that you cannot tell her that you are programming
only 5-6 hours per day.  What stops you from telling her that?
What do you expect would happen if you did?  What experience
leads you to expect that?

Did you at any point negotiate with your customer about the
Customer rights and responsibilities and the Programmer rights
and responsibilities?  Perhaps your customer doesn't know what is
expected of her, or what you are committing to.  Or perhaps she
disagrees with those expectations and commitments.  Working
through those might help you either to negotiate a better
relationship, or learn that you will not be able to create a
relationship you can accept.

Dale

--
E-mail: dale@dhemery.com