List:       extremeprogramming
Subject:    Re: [XP] content of integration machine
From:       Martin Fowler <mfowlerlists () thoughtworks ! net>
Date:       2003-03-29 19:49:43

K.Vivekanandan wrote:

> Thank you Ron.  If a product is released in small releases, it is
> expected that the product in each release  should have the features
> (better than that ) of previous release also.

Yes, unless later stories modify or remove capabilities that were in the
software. ("Please take out the email to the CEO whenever we make a sale.")

> Hence this assumption
> requires that all the code in the previous iterations/releases  is
> to be present in the integration machine. The integration is to be
> done not only the stories of the present release but also of the
> previous releases.

No. Code is always refactored in an XP world. As a result code get
altered and often deleted. As such deleted code is not part of head of
the Mainline. Hence when anyone does a build the code does not appear.

The code still lives in the Repository, since it keeps every bit of
stuff that was ever committed.

The term integration machine is potentially confusing here. I use the
term integration machine as the machine that performs the Integration
Build. It maybe (and often is) the same physical machine as the one that
holds the Repository - but it doesn't have to be.

(You can find more about terms such as Integration Build, Repository,
and Mainline in Steve and Brad's Excellent Book.)

--
Martin Fowler
http://martinfowler.com

ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com