List:       extremeprogramming
Subject:    [XP] Customer relationship report
From:       "rodriguez_jose48" <rodriguez_jose48 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-03-28 17:03:47

In a previous thread ("When the programmer plays the customer
role...") I've presented on this list a problem regarding our
relationship with the our customer. The "classic" XP customer defines
requirements and defines priorities. Our problem is that we, the
programmers, were asked to fulfill some customer tasks. That was due
to the fact that we, developers, understand the problem domain better
than the Customer.

After discussions with the Customer, we have agreed upon this way of
collaboration:

- The customer initiates the process of defining requirements. She
says: "I want to sell this product. I want you to help me and give me
a list of possible features. In order to do this, I think it is a
good idea to have an overview of the features of similar products on
the market. I also want you to organize an interview with our users
and gather their opinions."
- We do the job. Some guys from the customer side, who have some
understanding of the problem domain, participate to this, too. But we
do most of the work. 2 programmers are allocated for this.
- The customer says: "OK. Now lets build a list of possible
features." We do it together.
- The customer says: "Now, give me the estimates and your opinion
about the prioritization of the features."
- We do the estimates and give them to her. The customer is not
present while estimating.
- The customer has some discussions with sales, marketing, etc. and
then says: "OK.  We have decided to implement those features."

In addition to this, the Customer has asked us to allocate 2
programmers, for about 4hours a week, every week from now on, to do
some research about what is going on in our problem domain (new
products, new trends, etc).

The final list of features is, in my opinion, an electronic format of
the story cards (maybe I'm wrong). It is an Excel sheet, with these
columns:

Story name | Description | Estimate

If you have comments/thoughts/questions, please tell me about them.
Might help me.
Jose

ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com