List:       extremeprogramming
Subject:    [XP] Re: Who will babysit the babysitters?
From:       "Laurent Bossavit" <laurent () bossavit ! com>
Date:       2002-10-31 23:52:41

Phlip:

> Does the O-fish-all XP literature require Customer Tests to be written
> Test-First?

We only write tests for things that can possibly break.

If our Customer Test is comparing two biggish strings, or two files,
or two integers, it doesn't need a test; these things can't possibly
break.

If we keep on doing these simple things, the test code will end up
looking awfully cluttered. Once I turned my sensitivity to this way
up, I found that I quickly extracted "support classes" from my test
code.

I never got to the point where these seemed to me complex enough to
require tests of their own, unless I count the ones that turned out
to be useful in production code as well; those I moved over to
production code and added tests as demanded by my feelings of
nervousness about having gobs of untested code.

Cheers,

-[Morendil]-
[ This tagline has been left blank intentionally. ]

ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com