List:       extremeprogramming
Subject:    RE: [XP] Pair Programming for a spike solution?
From:       "Oliver Lingg" <oliver.lingg () unitedplanet ! de>
Date:       2002-10-31 8:24:04

> I never want to be the hero any more. I was the hero once,
> and it landed me in the soup: pretty soon, people expected me
> to be the hero every week. That's a ton of pressure, and not
> healthy pressure, either.

I agree with you, that being a hero could lead to huge pressure.
But even if you don't want to be a hero, "good" programmers get
unintentionally into that role.

> It's good to get some immediate credibility, perhaps by
> solving an important problem quickly; but after that, I find
> it much nicer to have a good team than to be the hero.

That's exactly the point. Heroism is something like an instinct.
Use this little extra motivation as part of the XP process.
Programming a spike solution offers the possibility to act out that
instinct without disrupting the team.

United Planet GmbH
Oliver Lingg
http://www.unitedplanet.de