List:       extremeprogramming
Subject:    Large Project Thought Experiment (was Re: [XP] Is XP right for large projects?)
From:       Alex Chaffee / Purple Technology <alex () jguru ! com>
Date:       2002-10-31 0:01:35

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 08:03:31PM +0200, Rosenbaum Yaron wrote:

> The main issue that I'm currently interested in, is how to scale up XP for
> my current project, from the team context to the whole project.

Let me see if I can come at this from a slightly different angle.

I'd like to ask you to do an exercise I just thought of.  It'd be
great to see you do it in a reply to this message, but you may want to
do it privately.

XP has a number of practices, which provide a number of benefits.

Can you list the benefits, in your own words, that you got from
small-team XP?

Once you have the list of benefits, then for each benefit, can you
draw the line back to the practices that enabled it?

Now, for each of these practices, is it possible -- even remotely --
that you can keep doing it the same way in a large team?  If so, put a
check mark next to it.

But if not, then follow the line back to its benefits, then
brainstorm: is there something else you can do that will provide those
same benefits?

Once you do the exercise on your own, or with us, I also advise doing
it together with your current XP team.  Chances are they'll have good
insight into the XP process, and what makes it work for them, and thus
come up with solutions you hadn't thought of, or courage to try things
you assumed were impossible.

(BTW, I had a few paragraphs of speculation about what I would keep or
throw away, but I deleted them, since I'm more interested in seeing
what you come up with on your own.)

ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com