List:       ext3-users
Subject:    Ext3 Partition lost
From:       Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf () cha ! forthnet ! gr>
Date:       2002-09-22 0:10:11

I am writting this message because i managed to loose an ext3 partition by
responding to a Norton Antivirus Alert . The story goes like this . Yesterday
as i was working with my Windows 98 Norton Antivirus found that someone has
altered my Master Boot Record and prompted me for proper action . As i was
doing nothing that would alter the Master Boot Record , i responded to Norton
Antivirus that it should replace the Master Boot Record with the original one
that he knew . But then as i tried to access the ext3 partition on the hard
disk i couldn't . The disk is an Western Digital 30 GB Hard Disk , who
supports UDMA 66 on the Primary Master Channel of a Promise Controller .
At this point i have to say that my motherboard is a QDI one with the i430VX
Chipset , with a BIOS dated back to 1997 . In the Enclosed file there are my
attempts to mount the partition in question , an attempt to run the e2fsck
programm and the error  returned to me , the remaining of the partition table
of the disk describing the 2 remaining Partitions  and the Boot Messages
which describe what Linux understand of my controller among with my disk
configuration . I don't know if that will help but the partition in question
was a 10240 MB Partition with a block size of 4096 bytes . I guess Norton
Antivirus hust erased the entry of the partition table and didn't really
damaged the actuall partition . Is there any way to access my missing
partition and the data in it ? . Any help would be grattely apreciated

Thanks in Advance
 Kostas

["DiskError" (text/plain)]

[root@Christina root]# mount -t ext3 /dev/hde3 /mnt/Data2
hde3: bad access: block=2, count=2
end_request: I/O error, dev 21:03 (hde), sector 2
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde3,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
[root@Christina root]# mount /dev/hde3 /mnt/Data2
mount: error while guessing filesystem type
hde3: bad access: block=0, count=1
end_request: I/O error, dev 21:03 (hde), sector 0
FAT: unable to read boot sector
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
[root@Christina root]# e2fsck /dev/hde3
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
e2fsck: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/hde3

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
  Partition Table
Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1   *         2      1023   8209183+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hde2          1024      2328  10482412+   b  Win95 FAT32
hde: WDC WD307AA-00BAA0, ATA DISK drive
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX3: chipset revision 0
PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
PDC20267: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev a0
PDC20267: chipset revision 2
PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0x6700-0x6707, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0x6708-0x670f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hda: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: WDC WD307AA-00BAA0, ATA DISK drive
hdg: IC35L080AVVA07-0, ATA DISK drive

The Controller mentioned is a Promise UDMA 100 Controller ( Internal PCI Card ).