List:       ext3-users
Subject:    Re: Converting / to ext3.
From:       "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct () redhat ! com>
Date:       2000-11-02 14:03:09

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 10:28:27PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> It doesn't appear necessary to add the journal= flag to /etc/fstab in
> addition to rootflags=. It looks to me like the either the /etc/fstab
> options not reread when root gets remounted in rw mode, or if an ext3
> journal exists, you don't have to specify it when remounting root.

Correct --- ext3 remembers its own journal location, and the
"journal=" option is only for creating a journal.

> I just succesfully converted / to ext3.  I made sure by killing the
> system, and rebooting, and I did not put the journal option in /etc/fstab.
> Very interesting.

It wouldn't have helped if you had --- you can only establish the
journal on mount, not on remount, and obviously by the time /etc/fstab
is being read, the initial mount has already happened!

> >       /sbin/lilo -R ext3 rw rootflags=journal=12
>
> What also works is to stick that into lilo.conf.  This is what works for
> me:

There's no point in sepcifying the rootflags for _every_ mount, and by
putting it into lilo.conf, you're just risking an accident later on if
you try to go back to ext2 and forget to remove the lilo line.  Much
better to do the job using a one-shot "lilo -R" command line.

> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-6
>         label=linux
>         read-only
>         append="rootflags=journal=83408"
>         root=/dev/hda8
>
> Just like for ext2 you need to boot with / mounted read-only.

No you don't --- ext3 will do the filesystem recovery itself on mount,
so mounting read-write is safe (at least as long as there are no
errors on the filesystem).

It's probably safest to leave it readonly, simply so that fsck can do
any work it needs to do without interfering with the journal, but it
is by no means required.

Cheers,
 Stephen