List:       exmh-workers
Subject:    Re: Problems with POP and inc in 2.4 (fwd)
From:       kchrist () lsil ! com
Date:       2001-05-31 18:33:26

I think Andy Bradford said:

> Thus said Glenn Burkhardt on Thu, 31 May 2001 09:50:33 EDT:
> [Snip].
>
> > By the way, there's also a "deficiency" in the POP password code - if the
> > password you supply is invalid, the only way to find out is by looking at
> > the log.  exmh really should tell the user that the password is not
> > valid with a pop up window (on the to do list!).
>
> Yes, this is something that I have noticed as well.  In addition, there
> is no way for you to get the popup again to re-enter the password so you
> have to restart all of exmh. :)
>
> Andy

Well, if the log window is available to catch the error message one may
be able to issue an "unset pop($host,password)" command to clear the
offending password. (Replace $host by appropriate value). Once the
password is cleared exmh should prompt for it again.

In regards to the deficiency, I think perhaps Pop_GetPassword can be
modified to check if the password is valid or not before returning it.
>From the man page it appears that 'msgchk' may be the thing to use to
check the password. Not sure if one would have to parse the output of
msgchk or it would be enough to use its return status. If the password
is found to be invalid one can prompt the user again. To avoid an
infinite loop one may allow for the invalid password to be used but not
placed in the pop(*,password) cache.

Unfortunately, I don't use POP, nor do I have support for it compiled
into my nmh executables and therefore all I can do is toss out the idea
for someone else to implement.

Kevin

PS. If someone does implement this, don't forget to use MhExec for the
    msgchk call to avoid any context issues.