List:       exmh-workers
Subject:    Re: Address database
From:       walker_pete () jpmorgan ! com
Date:       1997-01-14 15:55:15

Ben,

bescoto@rice.edu said:
> 	Since part of the functionality of what I am now describing is partly
> handled by some other utilities (e.g. Address Book at ftp://
> ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/linux/local/apps/addressbook-0.6.tar.gz)
> perhaps it would be best to integrate exmh with one of these other
> programs?  Does anyone have any ideas about this?

It is already possible to delegate the address lookup to an external database.
You need to write your own TCL stub which is the same format as the other
lookups which queries your external db. I do this to allow lookups on our
company wide "PH" directory. Check out the address prefs entry "Expand methods
to use" - the help lists the predefined procs but if you add your own one to
.tk/exmh then you can put it in this list and it will be called.

Writing new addresses to an external DB is not currently supported. Would it
make sense to automatically write to an external DB? Would it hold up processing
too much? Maybe we should have a manual "sync to external" function.

Cheers,

Pete.