List:       exmh-users
Subject:    Re: Running exmh on two machines from the same maildrop
From:       Anders Lund <Anders.Lund () uninett ! no>
Date:       1998-12-07 10:51:12

** Tony Nugent wrote: **
[...]
> Otherwise, trying to do what you are suggesting is tricky.  It might be=

> worth using something like rsync to keep two sets of files updated and =
in
> sync on both machines.

This is what I use.

I have put together three simple scripts, called "mail_sync", "remote_syn=
c" =

and "local_sync". "mail_sync" is the main script, but if it fails I can u=
se =

"remote_sync" or "local_sync" to force local or remote synchronization.

"mail_sync" first checks local mail folders for files with a newer time s=
tamp =

than $HOME/.sync_time ("touched" by me). (`find $local_home/Mail/*/ -type=
 d =

-newer $local_home/.sync_time -print0`) Then it checks remote mail folder=
s =

(`ssh $remote find $remote_home/Mail/*/ -type d -newer $remote_home/.sync=
_time =

-print0`).

Four possible cases:
1. New files on local
2. New files on remote
3. New files on both local and remote
4. No new files

Case 3 requires use of "remote_sync" or "local_sync" to force synchroniza=
tion.

Case 1 and 2 result in these steps:
 - Updating local or remote mail folders (`rsync -azr --delete -e ssh =

$local_home/Mail $remote:$remote_home/.`)
 - Updating local or remote .maildelivery
 - Updating local or remote .mh_aliases
 - Updating information about when this synchronization was done. ("touch=
ing" =

$HOME/.sync_time on local and remote)

("remote_sync" and "local_sync" are basically going through the same four=
 =

steps.)

The first time I forced synchronization of my local (laptop) machine. Aft=
er =

that I can use "mail_sync" to update. When I'm using my laptop I can read=
 and =

filter incoming mail in Exmh the same way I'm used to. When I'm done I =

synchronize the remote machine by using "mail_sync". Changes done on my l=
aptop =

are reflected on my remote machine at work. After a day at work I can use=
 =

"mail_sync" on my laptop again to update.

It's simple, ad hoc, not very robust, but it works for me. You just have =
to =

know what you are doing when you're using the scripts... ;-)

- Anders

--
 Anders Lund <Anders.Lund@uninett.no>
 UNINETT A/S, N-7034 Trondheim, Norway