List:       exim-users
Subject:    [Exim] [Q]setting up multiple smarthosts with authent..
From:       William Crowshaw <wcrowshaw () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-01-30 20:06:13

I would like to setup exim to queue all messages to
remote addresses and then, once I have established a
dialup connection to my isp, I would like exim to
send these messages to their remote address via two
different mailservers depending up the sender
address attached to each message.  Yew...

Here's an example.  I have an e-mail account (which
I am using now with my browser over the web) at
yahoo. Looking at the from header of this message,
my userid is obviously wcrowshaw.  Whenever I send a
message on my dialup machine that is from
'wcrowshaw@yahoo.com.' I would like this message to
go through yahoo's server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com.

Reading the docs, I know I must understand yahoo's
smtp server as a smarthost. So I know I may need
something like this in exim.conf.

smarthost:
  driver = domainlist
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = "* smtp.mail.yahoo.com bydns_a"

 At least, this is what I get using eximconfig
supplied with my debian  distribution of exim.
However, even this setup is wrong, because I believe
it says that I should send all messages to remote
addresses through smtp. mail.yahoo.com, when all I
want to go through yahoo are messages send  from
wcrowshaw@yahoo.com.

I also know that it is wrong because, I know that
this particular smarthost needs some kind of
authentication. I must supply yahoo with my userid
and my password before it will send messages from
wcrowshaw.  Reading the docs, I know that exim
supports some authentication schemes, as long as it
is compiled into exim's code. My debian distribution
does indeed support authentication. It supports md5
and plaintext (and Login) authentication.  I know
that yahoo does not require md5 authentication, but
PLAIN or LOGIN authentication. I am not really sure
how I would determine this. Once determined, I also
don't understand how I should write the
authenticator and how I should associate it with the
yahoo smarthost.

On top of all this, I would like all messages _not_
sent from wcrowshaw@yahoo.com routed through the
smarthost of my isp.  Any tips, advice, or examples
anyone could pass on to me would be greatly
appreciated. I have already read the FAQs and exim
specification manual, but it doesn't seem to give me
any good examples of what I would like to do.  From
the manual, I also understand that I could probably
set this up in a number of different ways.  I
probably need to write another smarthost router for
my isp mail server, but I don't know how to make
sure all messages _not_ sent from wcrowshaw would be
routed through their.

Here are some other relevant facts about my setup.
Currently, I am using exim 3.12-10. The local domain
on my linux box is called 'potato' and is a non-
registered domain name. For a DNS, I am not running
my own, but using my isp's when I am connected. To
get exim to work currently, I have the following
setup (Here's synopsis of the most relevant
exim.conf settings):

qualify_domain = potato
local_domain = localhost:potato
queue_remote_domains = *

remote_smtp: #it uses this transport for remote addre
  driver = smtp

lookuphost: #it uses this router for remote addresses
  driver = lookuphost
  transport = remote_smtp

#Finally, to get exim to send any messages
#to remote address, I have to use the following
#re-writing rules
*@anima    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                         {$value}Fail} bcfrF
#with these lines in /etc/email-addresses
mylocaluserid:   myremoteuserid@myisp.com
root:  root@potato
wcrowshaw:   wcrowshaw@yahoo.com