List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [Exim] return-path over smtp
From:       Ruth Ivimey-Cook <Ruth.Ivimey-Cook () arm ! com>
Date:       2000-11-28 16:27:58

At 04:14 PM 11/28/00, you wrote:
> > What exactly are you trying to achieve?
>
>         I'm triyng to send all undelivred messages (bad To:) to specified
> user.
>
>example: mail to tyty@rere.fr (address invalid) from me@mydomain.fr must

It's usual for such mails to be sent to the sender, so they know that the
address is bad, and can take alternative action. Are you catering for users
who wouldn't understand what was going on in this case?

The only thing I could suggest here is: either set Reply-To:, which may
work but will probably annoy users, or use an exim rewrite rule to change
the smtp from address (E-flag?) to the return address on all outgoing
mails. However, this may have undesirable effects on on other mail systems,
especially in the security and message logging/reporting area (because if
you do this, all mail from your domain will appear to be from one address).

Could you instead set up a filter for inbound messages that checks for
returned mail errors addressed to your users and diverts them to the
required place, or even better mangles them to an intelligible form?

Ruth
--

Ruth
Ivimey-Cook                       ruthc@sharra.demon.co.uk