List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [Exim] setting up mail gateway
From:       "Christopher L. Everett" <ceverett () ceverett ! com>
Date:       2000-08-30 5:13:13

Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Christopher Everett wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a mail gateway for a client, like this:
>
> <snip>
>
> > local_domains                    = *.bhauptman.com:bhauptman.com
>
> Do you really mean this? Local_domains is for domains that are delivered
> on this box. It looks like you want all messages to be relayed *through*
> the box, so you probably want
>
> local_domains =
>
> i.e. tell it there are no local domains.
>
> >   dan@bhauptman.com:
> >     unknown local-part "dan" in domain "bhauptman.com"
>
> > Obviously, it's checking to see if there's a user named "dan" on the
> > gateway, and then crapping out when it finds none.
>
> Yes, it will, because you told it that bhauptman.com is a local domain.
> "Local" to Exim means "on this box".

Well, I wish I could claim that I figured it out of the manual, but a
gentleman by the name of Tittsler in Japan pointed out the same thing,
responding about 10 minutes after I posted the question.

And you were right, I was confused about what "Local" means to Exim.

Kudos for a friendly, helpful mailing list and a very fine product.
I'm putting together a firewall recipe and I'm definitely going to
use Exim.

Christopher Everett