List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [Exim] MIME message/rfc822 bounce messages (was: Ignoring bounce  errors)
From:       Philip Hazel <ph10 () cus ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-28 11:25:36

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Tomas Fasth wrote:

> At a certain level, MUAs have to exchange information with MTAs. One purpose of DSN \
> is to allow MUAs to better visualize what is happening on the transportation level. \
> As long as MTAs fail to conform to any kind of standard response format, MUA \
> interaction with the user will continue to be awkward in this regard.

I can see the virtue of *a* standard response form. I'm not sure that
DSN is it.

> Couldn't dot forward processing be regarded as a successful delivery?

It could, but that isn't what the RFC says (if I recall correctly) and
also, I think it would be disastrous. Lots of people these days have
multiple forwarding of the type A->B->C->D. You don't want the sender to
get 4 "delivered" messages. (Personally, as a sender, I don't want *any*
such messages.)

> You compared it yourself with a mini
> mailing list, quite correctly I believe. If something goes wrong with the message \
> once it passed a dot forward processing, shouldn't the postmaster be notified, not \
> the sender?

We have 6,000 users on this system and 20,000 on our biggest. If one of
our users forwards to some new address that is or becomes broken, I
don't want to know. I certainly don't want to receive a message every
time a message comes in for this user (these people are always on a
zillion mailing lists). Let the senders be told. If they are desperate
they can find other ways of contacting the recipients and telling them
their forwarding is broken.

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.