List:       exim-users
Subject:    RE: [Exim] Simple feature request?
From:       "Dave C." <djc () microwave ! com>
Date:       1999-07-30 15:38:20

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Sweeney, Vince wrote:

> > > I have the common problem of my mail-que's filling up with frozen
> messages
> > > that cannot be delivered/returned because of simple user typo's in the
> > > mail addresses.
>
> > If the return addresses (From, reply-to, etc.) have typos I would suspect
> > spam - users rarely type these in by hand, and typos in MUA configs get
> > fixed.
>
> > Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison		Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
> > A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk	http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna
>
> No, this is a seperate problem from spam messages left in the que. If it
> were a spam message I'd just delete it, but a customer expects their mail to
> be delivered (even if its a confirmation of failure). Yes, this only happens
> with a very small %'age of mail but if your a dealing with thousands of mail
> an hour is soon builds up.
>
> The most common situations arise from customers mis-typing their reply-to
> address. We accept the mail to relay but for whatever reason it fails to be
> delivered and ends up frozen on the relay box with exim unable to send the
> mail anywhere.

I would set both sender_verify and headers_sender_verify. This will
prevent messages with incorrect email addresses from being accepted in
the first place.

I would also inform customers that in order for their mail to be
delivered correctly to an address, the email addresses (recipient
and/or sender) must be correct, and that email addressed incorrectly
will NOT be delivered.