List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [EXIM] problem with MIME attachments
From:       Philip Hazel <ph10 () cus ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-05-27 13:13:38

On Wed, 27 May 1998, comms wrote:

> We have an ISDN connection to our ISP. They hold some of our mail accounts.
> Mail for any other users in our domain is dumped in a default mailbox. We
> use a pullmail routine to initiate an smtp transfer of mail in this default
> mailbox to our mail server.

Sounds like there is a problem with the pullmail software.

> I assume that all these extra headers are created when the mail message is
> delivered to the default mailbox on our ISP's mail server.

That's usually the case. The "From " line is a standard BSD message
separator line, created from the message's envelope.

> I experimented a bit more and found that it wasn't the '>From' header which
> was causing the problem, it's the blank line that precedes it. If I remove
> the blank line by editing the mailbox directly then the attachment is
> received normally.
>
> Is there anything I can do to get round this problem?

Get the pullmail software fixed so that it sends syntactically correct
messages over the SMTP connection. There's not really anything else, I'm
afraid.

P.Hazel@ucs.cam.ac.uk          New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk (sic)       England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714

--