List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [EXIM] RFC1413 timeouts, firewalls and sendmail
From:       jhenders () bogon ! com
Date:       1998-03-26 11:49:36

On Thu, Mar 26/98, Philip Hazel <ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Mark Baker wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 01:11:52AM -0800, jhenders@bogon.com wrote:
> >
> > > easy problem to track down. I've basically given up on ident as the
> > > number of machines running it make it pretty useless any more and there
> > > are mini ident servers for windows boxes that will tell you whatever the
> > > user wants.
> >
> > That doesn't matter, given what ident is for. If it's a single user machine,
> > or a multi-user machine that doesn't normally run ident, as most windows
> > machines are, then the sysadmin dealing with the abuse report will just
> > ignore the ident information. He'll only pay any attention to it if it comes
> > from an identd he configured, and in that case it will be useful to him.
>
> Exactly. If you complain about abuse from one of our IP addresses, if it
> is the address of a student's personal machine, we don't need any more
> information - we know who to grill. If, on the other hand, it is the
> address of a large shared server (several thousand registered users,
> hundreds logged in simultaneously) then the ident information is vital.

I guess the reasons I gave up on it were a) the abuse from spammers and
dialup users with mailbomb programs so dwarfs the amount of abuse
coming from people who might actually be using a host that runs ident as
to be lost in the noise. I remember when someone telnetting to my mail
port and faking mail was a big deal. Now I'm happy if I can keep the
amount of fake mail under a few thousand messages a day. ;(
b) firewalls, mainly customers, which time out the connection instead of
rejecting it. Then they phone and complain that mail is slow.

sigh.

--
  Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.

--
***  Exim information can be found at http://www.exim.org/  ***