List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: split message
From:       Philip Hazel <ph10 () cus ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1997-10-30 9:38:54

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Jim Gottlieb wrote:

> All incoming messages here are fine, except for those that originate or
> pass through our system in Japan.  Since I changed over to exim, any
> message from Japan looks like this:

> >From root@denwa.linc.or.jp Wed Oct 29 08:41:14 1997
> From: root@denwa.linc.or.jp
> Bcc:
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:41:13 -0800
>
> >From root@denwa.linc.or.jp Thu Oct 30 01:41:12 1997
> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 97 01:30 JST
> From: root@denwa.linc.or.jp (Tokyo Admin)
> To: jimmy@denwa.linc.or.jp
> Subject: Tokyo VM
>
> [Message body here]
>
> Nothing on the Japan side has changed in years.  Anyone have any idea
> what's going on?  I don't see anything unusual in the logs.

Looks like some unexpected line of text that isn't a header is getting
sent with the message, causing Exim to think it has reached the body of
the message prematurely. My guess is the line

  From root@denwa.linc.or.jp Thu Oct 30 01:41:12 1997

Exim handles such leading lines only for non-smtp local messages, since
they contravene RFC 822. The comment in the code reads as follows:

    WORMCAN. It turns out that smail, and presumably sendmail, accept leading
    lines of the form

    From ph10 Fri Jan  5 12:35 GMT 1996

    in messages. The "mail" command on Solaris 2 sends such lines. I cannot
    find any documentation of this, but for compatibility it had better be
    accepted. Exim restricts it to the case of non-smtp messages, and
    treats it as an alternative to the -f command line option. Thus it is
    ignored except for trusted users or filter testing. Otherwise it is taken
    as the sender address, unless -f was used (sendmail compatibility).

Philip

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk             New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
P.Hazel@ucs.cam.ac.uk          England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714