List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: sender_*_verify and coping with bad but non spam MTAs...
From:       Philip Hazel <ph10 () cus ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1997-10-21 12:38:56

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Alan Thew wrote:

> What are people's experiences, especially at large sites where it's not
> always possibly just to block anyone or drop mail on the floor, like
> Universities....?

I've been blocking MAIL FROM addresses that fail to resolve for over 5
years - long before I started to write Exim. However, it has never been
acceptable here to drop mail on the floor.

> mail from:<user@badly_configured_mta.com>

*should* be rejected, IMHO, because doing so avoids more problems in the
long run. If you accept such addresses and your user replies, *your*
postmaster gets bothered when it doesn't work. If you reject it in the
first place, then postmaster@badly_configured_mta.com gets bothered by
the sending user, which is as it should be!

[Of course, things don't always work out like that. What often happens
is that sender phones up receiver and says "I can't get mail to you;
what's wrong with your site?", so your postmaster gets bothered anyway.
Sigh.]

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk             New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
P.Hazel@ucs.cam.ac.uk          England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714