List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: A few problems
From:       woods () most ! weird ! com (Greg A !  Woods)
Date:       1997-10-04 1:46:45

[ On Fri, October 3, 1997 at 18:18:56 (-0700), tom@sdf.com wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: A few problems
>
> On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Jay Denebeim wrote:
>
> > 3) The postmaster of the 'from' site of the spam.
> >
> > #3 is in case they want to go after the spammer for defamation or
> > whatever.
>
>   Please don't do that either.  Be assurred that such a site will deluged
> with complaints.  I've been there.  A domain I work for was used on one of
> those "numbered" spams (random numeric local part).  Such sites have been
> punished enough, and yet another e-mail to "just to let them know" isn't
> going to accomplish much over to overload their mail resources futher.

That's not a problem in my opinion.  Anyone taking on such clients
cannot assure them of immunity to such backlash should be prepared to
deal with it.  Yes there are effective ways to manage such things
without being swamped (it'c alled automation -- something computers are
really good at).  Yes there are effective ways to gain such assurance
(it's called a client awareness program and can be enforced with a good
acceptable use policy that becomes a part of the service contract).

I.e. I have no sympathy for your request.  You get what you ask for and
you create the circumstances you must live with.

I most definitely suggest complaining to everyone directly involved with
incidents of e-mail abuse, and yes I'm prepared to live with the
consequences of doing so.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>