List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: Exim list speed boost?
From:       Pete Ashdown <pashdown () xmission ! com>
Date:       1997-06-12 15:36:06

Jason Bain said once upon a time:

>RE:
>
>> > I've got this list owner driving me up a wall because some members of his
>> > list don't get distributed messages until up to 14 hours later.  The list
>> > has 8500 members!!
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any suggestions for parallelizing delivery of this list
>> > through exim?
>>
>> We only have tiddly lists so I've not tried this but our computer center
>> were using bulk_mailer to break up single massive majordomo lists.  This
>> made exim a lot happier.
>
>Yes, we use bulk_mailer, with a few modifications, on our mailing list server.
>Exim/majordomo appear to be happy with this, and it has the added advantage
>of being capable of deleting some of those mailing list unfriendly headers
>that some mail user agents enjoy sending.

I should add that after setting remote_max_parallel=10, things are just
fine as far as list delivery.  Using bulk_mailer would be an unecessary
step at this point.  In fact, as a past bulk_mailer user, I would suggest
the remote_max_parallel variable over bulk_mailer for big lists.

Once I set that variable, the list with 8500 names delivers to everyone in
an hour.