List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: Domain Hiding - 1.58 vs 0.52
From:       Lee McLoughlin <lmjm () doc ! ic ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1996-11-22 12:30:50

Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Lee McLoughlin wrote:
>
> > However this fails under 1.58.  With the same configure file 1.58 thinks
> > that all local mail should be delivered on the local host!  I'm guessing
> > it is applying the rewrite rules to the result of the alias lookup?
>
> Ah yes, that change was made at some point, in fact with .forward files
> in mind rather than alias files. Since these are generating entirely new
> addresses, I thought it was a bug that they weren't being handled in the
> same way as addresses from outside. I think I still feel that way.
>
> Alias files might be a different case, I suppose, because they may be
> used in different ways by different people.

Yes folks its "Can of Worms" time again....  Seriously though the
re-write
in the config file I emailed work except for the envelope problem...

> > I've tried a variety of combinations and I can get pretty close but none
> > do all that I need (BTW how do you turn off Envelope-To: given that the
> > documented variable for doing it doesn't appear to work?)
>
> Hmm. It works for me. Are you putting it in the right place? I added
>
>   envelope_to_add = false,

Oops!  I'm a moron (albeit an incredibly talently and hansom one).  My
brain
was left inadventenly in "SMAIL" mode and I'd just added the variable
name as a toggle.  I've now added the '= false' and its happy.

So the rewrite rules work as much as I think think they can.  All
headers and the envelope From are re-writen.  The envelope To: is left
alone.  It is re-writing this that was causing the local machine to
think mail should be delivered on it.

I can't think of any way leaving the envelope To alone would cause a
problem.  Except, of course, if the target machine hasn't added
envelope_to_add = false !